Which Universities Offer The Best Interior Design Courses in The UK
The UK is a well-renowned and affordable study abroad destination for arts and design students worldwide. Moreover, UK universities offer specialist design courses in interiors, fashion, textile and creative arts. Opting for interior design courses in the UK can help you design your own home and help you establish a successful career in the field. Here is a list of universities that provide a variety of courses within interior design for students.
ROYAL COLLEGE OF ART
Getting ranked 1st in the QS World University Rankings 2021 for Art & Design, Royal College of Art is on the top of the list for students pursuing interior design courses abroad in the UK. This university offers an MA programme in Interior Design. It is a full-time 2-year programme dealing with various aspects of interior designing.
The fees and funding for the programme are as follows:
- Home(Subsidised)-£9,750 per year
- The Channel Islands and Isle of Man(subsidised)-£14,500 per year
- Overseas and EU-£29,000 per year
Royal College of Art, located in London, England also offers a wide range of scholarships to students.
The modules that the students have to study for two years are:
- The First Year dealing with the basic fundamentals and the principles of interior design
- The Second Year dealing with collaborative short projects and individual thesis project
- Interior Design Platforms
- Inside/Out Lecture Series
- Critical and Historical Studies
UNIVERSITY OF ARTS LONDON
University of Arts London provides a three years full-time BA course in Interior Design along with a one-year full-time Graduate Diploma in Interior Designing. This university ranked 83rd in the Times University Guide 2021 and 45th in the Guardian University Guide 2021, making it one of the best universities for students who want to study interior design courses in the UK.
It is located in London, England, charging £9,250 for UK students and £22,920 for international students opting for the bachelor course. For the Graduate Diploma Course, the cost for UK students is £11,220 and £22,920 for the international students.
The BA course covers important modules such as:
- Introduction to Interior Design: Methods and Processes
- Design Objects
- Design Media
- Design Contexts
- Professional Practice
- Collaborative and Collective Practice
- Public Proposal
- Public Interior
- Critical Practice
- Design Programme: Proposals and Counter Proposals
GLASGOW SCHOOL OF ART
Getting ranked 8th in the 2019 QS World Rankings for Art and Design, this university is the best place for students to study in Scotland for Interior Design Courses. Located in Glasgow, Scotland, Glasgow School of Art deals with popular courses such as Architecture, Arts and Design.
The duration of the BA (Hons) Interior Design is four years full-time with international fees of £7,500–8,800. The university also provides a full-time one year PhD in Interior designing so that the students can accomplish a reflective portfolio of work to a professional standard.
The PhD deals with fundamental issues of the subject such as:
- Value of relevant levels of technological intervention
- An understanding of the significance of disciplinary autonomy as well as interdisciplinary dialogue
GOLDSMITHS, UNIVERSITY OF LONDON
The Goldsmiths, University of London ranked 97th in the Times University Guide 2021 and 105th in the Guardian University Guide 2021 and is located in London.
This university provides a wide range of programmes for interior design such as:
- BA (Hons) Interior Design- 3 years full-time, with a professional placement during Year 2
- MA Design: Expanded Practice- 15 months full-time
- MPhil/PhD Design- 3–4 years full-time or 4–6 years part-time
- PGCE (Secondary): Design and Technology- 1 year full-time; 2 years part-time
- Graduate Diploma in Design- 1 year full-time
- International Foundation Certificate in Design- 1 year full-time
This university provides famous courses such as Media, Design, Art, Humanities and Entrepreneurship. The international fee for the courses varies up to £13,500–19,990.
Getting ranked 7th in the Times University Guide 2021 and 7th in the Guardian University Guide 2021 Loughborough University provides a variety of courses within interior design such as:
- BA in Design
- BA in Industrial Design
- BSc in Product Design and Technology
- MA in Design Innovation
- MSc in Design Innovation
The university is located in Loughborough, England providing one year full-time and four years part-time MA/MSc in Design Innovation with £11,300 for UK students and £26,500 for international students.
The students will study core/optional modules such as:
- Design Thinking (Compulsory)
- Design Research (Compulsory)
- Design, Culture and Communication (Compulsory)
- Introduction to Digital Technologies (Optional)
- Strategy and Market Analysis (Optional)
- Design in Organisations (Optional)