Top Scholarships for Indian Students to Study in the UK
The United Kingdom is one of the best providers of higher education in the world. From Oxford to UCL College, four out of the top 10 universities in the world are located in the UK, according to the QS World University Rankings 2022. International students join UK universities to study bachelor’s or master’s degree programmes in a wide range of subjects.
The cost of studying an undergraduate degree in the UK ranges between £10,000 to £38,000 per year, and for postgraduate courses, it is between £11,000 to £32,000. The tuition fees vary depending on the course and college.
To make studying in the UK affordable for international students, the UK government and universities are offering a wide range of scholarships to worthy students who have impressive academic records.
Some of the top universities in the UK that students should consider for pursuing bachelor’s, master’s, or research degrees are:
- University of Oxford
- University of Cambridge
- Imperial College London
- University College London
- University of Edinburgh
- The University of Manchester
- King’s College London
- The London School of Economics and Political Science
- The University of Warwick
- University of Bristol
The fees mentioned above are not fixed for any particular course or university. The tuition fees for particular courses can be higher or lower than the average mentioned amount.
Here are some of the popular scholarships available for Indian students to pursue their higher studies in the UK.
- Rhodes Scholarships
- GREAT Scholarships
- Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan
- Dr Manmohan Singh Scholarships
The Rhodes Scholarship is one of the oldest and most prestigious UK scholarships. The programme offers fully-funded scholarships that help students from around the world to study at the University of Oxford.
To apply for the scholarship, the minimum eligibility criteria required are:
- Must be a citizen of India with valid proof of citizenship such as passport or equivalent documents.
- Must have undertaken a formal education at any recognised educational institution in India
- The age of applicants applying for an Undergraduate scholarship should be at least 18 or a maximum of 24 at the time of application.
- For Postgraduate programmes, applicants must have completed their undergraduate degree with a first-class or equivalent qualification.
GREAT Scholarships are offered to students from 18 countries of the world for studying postgraduate degrees at UK universities across a wide range of subjects.
The scholarship is jointly funded by the British Council, the GREAT Britain Campaign, and the participating universities.
The minimum scholarship amount offered to Indian students for a one-year postgraduate degree is £10,000. Some of the UK universities offering GREAT Scholarship are:
- Bishop Grosseteste University
- Cranfield University
- Edinburgh Napier University
- Falmouth University
- Goldsmiths, University of London
- Keele University
- Queen’s University Belfast
- Royal Agricultural University
- Trinity Laban Conservatoire Music and Dance
- University of East Anglia
- University of Edinburgh
- University of Kent
- University of Manchester
- University of Plymouth
- University of St. Andrew’s
- University of Southampton
The eligibility criteria required to apply for the GREAT Scholarships programme are:
- The candidate must be a citizen of India
- Should hold an Undergraduate degree in the same or related field in which they are applying for a scholarship with evidence of keen interest in the subject
- Must meet the English language proficiency level of the respective university
- Willing to participate in networking event for all UK based GREAT scholars to capture perceptions and discuss their experience of studying in the UK
- Willing to act as an ambassador for the GREAT scholarship and maintain contact with the British Council
- Willing to share their experience as an alumnus of the GREAT scholarship with the potential candidates
Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan
The Commonwealth Scholarship Programme is available for worthy students from across the commonwealth countries who couldn’t afford to study in the UK without funding. The programme is designed to support and attract talented students from the commonwealth countries to study at postgraduate and PhD level at prestigious universities in London and around the UK such as UCL university, Imperial College London, University of Oxford, University of Bristol and the University of Manchester to name a few.
To apply for the Commonwealth scholarship, the minimum eligibility requirements are:
- Be a permanent resident of an eligible Commonwealth country, or be a British Protected Person, or hold a refugee status under a Commonwealth country.
- Hold an undergraduate honours degree of upper second class (2:1)
- Unable to afford education in the UK without scholarship along with valid documents to support the claim
The British Chevening Scholarships is offered to applicants with leadership potential for a one-year Master’s degree.
Chevening scholarship is offered in the field of politics, business, civil society, media, academia, and religion. The scholarship is offered to international students from over 160 countries other than the US and the UK.
The scholarship programme is funded by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office along with partner organisations.
To be eligible for the Chevening Scholarship, the minimum requirements are:
- The candidate must be a permanent resident of a Chevening-eligible country.
- Candidates must return to their home country for at least two years post completion of their degree.
- Should have completed an undergraduate programme with an upper second class 2:1 honours degree or equivalent international degree
- Have at least 2-years of work experience
- The candidate must have applied to at least three Chevening partner university courses and received unconditional offers for at least one.
Contact the study abroad expert consultants at SI-UK India to assess your scholarship eligibility for free.